IT Governance Executive Committee
The IT Governance Executive Committee, chaired by the Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer, is responsible for all major IT decision-making for the University and provides guidance as well as sets IT priorities to enable the University to balance its improvement goals with available resources in alignment with the University’s strategic goals and mission.
The committee evaluates input received from the following campus IT governance advisory committees and makes IT recommendations to, and receives direct feedback from, the Dean’s Council two times per fiscal year.
- IT Governance Educational Technology Advisory Committee
- IT Governance Research Technology Advisory Committee—Scheduled to begin in fiscal year 2015.
- IT Governance Administrative Systems Advisory Committee
- IT Governance Infrastructure Advisory Committee
The Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer serves as chair. Members are senior administrators at the University including the Provost, Senior Vice President Business and Finance, Vice President Office for Research, and Associate Vice President Office for Change Management.
- To establish overall direction and priorities for information technology (IT) at the University in concert with the University Strategic Plan.
- To review relevant policies, and provide input into IT planning and investment.
- To ensure that significant opportunities for leveraging technology are considered, that significant technology-related risks are addressed, and that the use of University IT resources is optimized.
- Ensure IT infrastructure and services are aligned with academic and administrative direction and priorities, assessing the fit of major new IT initiatives and emergent technologies within the context of Northwestern’s mission, goals, and priorities.
- Ensure policy exists to establish authority, accountability, and responsibility relating to information and technology.
- Administer the IT Governance framework, establish priorities for Advisory Committees and consider recommendations they bring forward.
- Ensure the University has a sustainable, institutional funding model for IT infrastructure and services.
- Ensure existing and emerging technologies that enable the pursuit of academic and administrative excellence are broadly available to the Northwestern community.
- Ensure the University has an effective IT and information security framework with appropriate IT controls.
- Support requests for major IT initiatives where appropriate, and provide advice for allocating resources for such initiatives.
- Oversee development of strategic planning processes for IT.
- Provide direction to prevent, where appropriate, unnecessary redundancy or non-sustainable service implementations and their resulting inefficiencies and risks.
Meetings are held quarterly.
- Sean Reynolds, Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer (Chair)
- Daniel I. Linzer, Provost, Office of the Provost
- Nim Chinniah, Executive Vice President
- Jay Walsh, Vice President of Research, Office for Research
- Jake Julia, Associate Vice President, Office for Change Management and Associate Provost, Academic Initiatives
- Administrative Support—David Keown, Planning Director and Advisor to the Chief Information Officer
Last Updated: 24 October 2014Get Help Back to top