Business Intelligence System (Cognos BI)
The Business Intelligence (BI) System, powered by IBM Cognos Business Intelligence, provides Northwestern with accessible and comprehensive reporting and analytics solutions for University schools and business units.
The BI System includes three reporting and analysis tools, called BI Studios, which can be used to develop interactive self-service reports and predict outcomes based on historical performance.
BI studios can be utilized individually or in tandem, depending upon the data needs of a specific project.
- Enables the guided exploration of information that pertains to all dimensions of business.
- Allows users to slice and dice information on the fly without having to create and run reports.
- Ideal for business analysts who need to quickly answer questions or perform ad-hoc analysis without having to request/write new reports.
- Used to create ad hoc queries and simple reports and charts.
- Reports are developed by analysts in business units with some SQL experience.
- Reports can be accesses by a broad user base.
- Create sophisticated reports and charts with complex prompts and filters.
- Reports are developed by professional report writers or IT staff with advanced SQL knowledge.
- Reports can be accessed by a broad user base.
- Internet Explorer 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 (fully supported)
- Firefox 31 (all features and Studios)
- Chrome 32 (limited support; Query Studio not supported)
- Safari 5 (limited support; Query Studio not supported)
For Mac OS X users, Northwestern IT recommends using the Firefox 3 browser. Safari is not a supported browser and does not always render reports as intended. Safari does not function properly with any of the studios.
Access the Business Intelligence System
System users can access the BI System at: https://reporting.northwestern.edu.
Last Updated: 22 March 2017Get Help Back to top