Northwestern Share, the University's centralized SharePoint 2013 infrastructure managed by NUIT, is now being populated with site collections by Northwestern technology partners. Site collections can be created for schools (by campus), departments, projects, programs, centers, and institutes and are then administered locally by a designated site owner from that area (usually local technology support staff). Technology staff interested in creating a new site collection must complete the Collaboration Services Request Form.
Acting as a site owner requires a significant amount of time and training to understand how to use SharePoint and appropriately deploy sites. This resource page provides the training options and support information that site owners will need to set up and then manage a site collection for their local faculty and staff.
Site Owner Training
Because SharePoint is a complex application with many potential uses, attendance in a SharePoint 2013 for Site Collection and Site Administration training class is required for all new site owners. This class is available to Northwestern at a discounted rate through Global Knowledge and the local school or department requesting a new site collection is responsible for the cost of attendance. Offered in Chicago and Schaumburg, it includes the following topics:
- Site and site collection administration
- Site creation process
- Site customization
- Common and advanced features of the basic team site
- Creating workflows
In addition to the classroom-based training, there are many additional materials site owners may use on their own time to supplement their SharePoint knowledge.
- Online video tutorials (Lynda.com)
- SharePoint Foundation 2013 Essential Training
- Available to all Northwestern faculty and staff
- More than 50 total videos
- Total running time approximately six hours
- Microsoft SharePoint 2013 training courses
- Beginner and intermediate training videos
- Free to download from Microsoft.com
- Some lessons include downloadable Quick Reference cards
- Northwestern Share how-to videos
- Announcements and calendar setup (NetID required)
- Uploading and tagging documents (NetID required)
- Adding announcements, calendar items, and documents quick reference
- Specifically produced for Northwestern Share
- Northwestern Share site owner guide
- Best practices and how-to for setting up a site collection in Northwestern Share
- Specifically produced for Northwestern
Roles & Responsibilities Checklist
NUIT and local technology partners worked together to develop a SharePoint deployment strategy that would best fulfill the diverse needs of faculty and staff across the University. New site owners should use the Roles & Responsibilities Checklist to guide a successful SharePoint launch for their area.
This document outlines NUIT's SharePoint responsibilities and what site owners will need to do locally to support their new site collection. It also contains best practice tips on SharePoint launch communication and training for both technology support staff and end users.
Northwestern Share Governance
From the Northwestern Share homepage, share.northwestern.edu, site owners may access additional SharePoint support documents from the SharePoint Resources tab including the Northwestern SharePoint Governance Framework. This document has details on the architecture and administration of the entire SharePoint environment, as well as, information on process and procedures.
Site owners and users are responsible for following the University Appropriate Use Of Electronic Resources policy and all other applicable regulations and guidelines (ie. HIPAA, FERPA) when using Northwestern Share.
IT Support Center
Central service desk for students, faculty, and staff.
Submit a Support Request
Last Updated: 19 August 2015