Your NetID password/passphrase works in conjunction with your NetID to guarantee the security of University systems and validate your identity on the NU Network. As your key to the network and your user account, your password should be guarded carefully and never shared with anyone.
Northwestern uses a password aging system which requires you to change your password for your NetID every year. You will receive several e-mail reminders to change your password as the expiration date approaches.
A NetID password must:
- be 8-31 characters in length
- contain a non-alphanumeric character such as ( ! ] & * , + = : - )
A NetID password cannot:
- be exactly the same as your last NetID password
- include a caret ( ^ ), dollar sign ( $ ), a single quote ( ' ), a double quote ( " ), a number sign ( # ), a less-than sign ( < ), a question mark ( ? ), a pipe ( | ), a back quote ( ` ), or a backslash ( \ )
- include character strings from your name or your NetID (examples for "James Smith": "James", "Smith")
- include more than four repeated letters or numbers (example: "aaaaa", "33333")
- include reserved sequential character strings (example: “asdf” or “jkl;”)
Verify NetID password
IT Support Center
Central service desk for students, faculty, and staff.
Submit a Support Request
Last Updated: 20 September 2013