If you are experiencing trouble logging into a NetID-authenticated system, please review the following checklist.
Is the service currently available? Check the Status of University IT Services to determine if there is a scheduled or unplanned outage.
- Check that you are typing in your password correctly.
- Ensure that the caps lock key is not pressed.
- Make sure your browser is not auto-filling your password.
- Verify that your password is current at Check Your Password.
- If you need to change a forgotten or expired NetID password, go to NU Validate, enter your NetID, and click the Forgot your password? button.
Cookies and Cache
Are you eligible to access the service? Several University systems and services, including software titles, have specific NetID eligibility requirements and may not be available for all users. Check with the IT Support Center at 847-491-4357 (1-HELP) to determine if your NetID is authorized for access.
Did you get a "Forbidden" error trying to access a NetID-authenticated service without even being prompted for your NetID and password? it could be due to one of these common issues and not your NetID:
- Your computer is connected to both wired and wireless Internet.
- You physically moved your laptop from one location to another while connected to a wireless network and its network address changed.
- You're using SSL VPN.
Try quitting your browser and relaunching it to access the service. If that doesn't work try using a different browser.
Are you trying to access a service from an off-campus location? Some services, such Kronos, require you to either be on campus or use VPN when off campus. More information is available at Use VPN for a Secure Connection.
Many secure sites at the University require security certificates to ensure secure data transmission. Most browsers should receive certificates automatically and experience no issues when accessing services. If you are experiencing a certificate error, instructions on fixing this issue are available in the NU Online Passport Quick Reference.
Are you trying to access a service from an off-campus location that's behind a firewall? It's not uncommon for companies and businesses to restrict authenticated access to sites on the Internet from computers on their network. Check with your company's IT department if you are having access issues at your non-University workplace.
Some services, such as NUFinancials, Cognos and SES, require you to have completed a security form before you are permitted access to the system. Verify with your department's business administrator that you have been granted appropriate access.
IT Support Center
Central service desk for students, faculty, and staff.
Submit a Support Request
Last Updated: 3 June 2015