Northwestern offers solutions for conducting telephone conference calls with participants both on, and off campus. Most conference calls can be achieved by using traditional or IP-based desktop telephones or by requesting a permanent personal 800 number using Global Meet®, an audioconferencing service offered through Premier Global Incorporated (PGI), a preferred Northwestern vendor.
Traditional or IP-Based Telephone Conferencing
Secure, reservationless, self-initiated conference calls can be conducted from an on campus telephone line, at no additional cost using NUIT provided telephone services. Both traditional and IP-based (powered by Voice over Internet Protocol and Session Initiation Protocol technologies) phone services are equipped with conferencing capabilities.
Conferencing features, including the number of callers per conference call, vary by telephone type. User guides are available for all phone sets available at NU.
Three-Way CallingConference calls with two numbers or transfer calls to another number can be made through a feature programmed by default with traditional and IP-based phone services.
Using traditional phone services:
- Quickly press and release the switchhook (or press Flash on your speakerphone) to place your original call on hold. You will hear a confirmation/dial tone.
- Dial the third party's telephone number. The phone will ring.
- After the third party answers, quickly press and release the switchhook (or press Flash). All three parties are connected.
Using Nortel IP-based phone services:
- Press the Action soft key to enter the In-Call menu.
- Select New Call/Conference to add a caller.
- Dial the number of the person you want to add to the call, then press the Send soft key; at this time, you can talk privately to the person you are adding to announce the conference.
- Press the Join soft key, then select Conference to merge the calls.
Please note: Instructions for making a three-way conference call using IP-based services are dependent upon the IP phone manufacturer and model. Additional User Guides and online training videos are available for IP phones available at the University.
The cost is based on usage starting at 1.7 cents per minute, per connection for all departments. Consider sharing connections with one or more call participants for maximum value. Any incurred charges are the responsibility of the contracting department.
Important Note: Usage charges begin once meeting participants are connected to the conference, regardless of whether the meeting host as joined the call. To minimize charges that will occur as participants are waiting for a call to begin, PGI has enabled a feature that will automatically drop a participant from the call after seven minutes if the host has not joined the call within that time.
Visit the University Purchasing Services Web site to learn more about this PGI Conferencing Service and ordering requirements.
Purchasing Resource Services
For all questions related to the Global Meet Audioconferencing Service
NUIT Support Center
Central service desk for students, faculty, and staff.
Submit a Support Request
Last Updated: 23 November 2011