Cultivating Excellence, Collaboration, and Innovation
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee (DE&I) is a staff organization working within Northwestern IT to support the mission and efforts of the Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion.Join Us
Northwestern IT Commitment Statement
Northwestern University is best served by an IT organization that supports the full demographic diversity of current and future generations of Northwestern students, faculty, and staff.
Therefore, we commit to:
- Building a more diverse workforce that cultivates excellence, collaboration, and innovation
- Ensuring equitable treatment, promoting access to opportunity and advancement, and removing barriers to success
- Providing an inclusive work environment where all members of the Northwestern IT community can thrive and learn from each other
- Embracing diversity and perspectives that support a culture of trust and accountability
- Bringing sustained, intentional effort to this essential work and integrating it into all aspects of our organization
- Develop policy(s) to ensure the Northwestern IT hiring process includes oversight and guidance from a hiring team, and include a requirement on diverse candidate pools.
- Develop policies, standards, and guidelines to enable staff retention and inclusion, where training, professional development, coaching, and mentoring are a priority.
- Establish a platform for advocacy and build allies and committees at the University to strengthen Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Curate educational programming such as workshops, conferences, books, podcasts, and other educational materials to educate and strengthen the DE&I commitment for Northwestern IT.
Committee members are staff from across Northwestern IT who have a strong interest in creating a more diverse, inclusive, and equitable community.
Any IT staff member may request to participate in the committee or its associated workgroups and activities.
- Maureen Knight-Burrell, Associate Director, Application Development and Operations (Co-Chair)
- Ken Panko, Director, Media and Technology Innovation (Co-Chair)
- Michael Campbell, Developer, Admin Systems Application Development
- Steve Ewald, Senior Systems Engineer, Collaboration Services
- Victoria Getis, Senior Director, Teaching and Learning Technologies
- Chris Fowler, Applications Systems Manager, Enterprise Systems Alumni and Financials
- Annie Speicher, Senior Digital Media Specialist, Media and Technology Innovation
- Betsy Watkins, Systems Engineer, Collaboration Services
- Office of Institutional Diversity & Inclusion
- Policy on Discrimination and Harassment from the Office of Equity
- MyHR Courses
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion playlist
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at EDUCAUSE