After the Migration
Find what you need to know and understand the steps to take after your Box content is successfully moved.
Box individual account content will have moved to OneDrive. Box Organizational accounts (an account owned by a department, unit, or group) will have moved to SharePoint. You will receive an email from Northwestern IT confirming that your migration is complete.
Your Box content is set to read-only, meaning you can still view but cannot edit, add, or own new content. Learn more about the read-only mode. Content in Box will remain read-only for four weeks from your migration date. After this time, it will be deleted and no longer viewable. You will receive emails to remind you of this activity.
- Verify that Box content owned by you has been moved as expected to the _FromNUBox folder in OneDrive. Box Organizational account owners should verify that content has been moved as expected to SharePoint.
- If you shared Box content with Northwestern collaborators, notify them of your completed migration, and remind them to access all your shared files in their OneDrive “Shared with You” tab.
- If you are the owner of a Box Organizational account, you will need to notify users of the account that content is now accessible in SharePoint. You will be provided with a template that you can use for this purpose.
- You can add new comments to OneDrive files.
- You can use Teams to assign new tasks to your OneDrive files.
- Consider using OneDrive as your home base to access documents stored in OneDrive and SharePoint. If you haven't already done so, log in to OneDrive and activate your account. Once activated, you may wish to download and install the OneDrive app on your computer. Download for Windows and Mac. To access your content from a mobile device or tablet, download the OneDrive app from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
About Shared Files
During your migration, files and folders for which you are the owner will be moved. After the migration, if you do not see a folder in your OneDrive or SharePoint account that you expect to see, it may be because someone else at Northwestern owns the folder and has shared it with you. That shared folder in OneDrive or SharePoint will become visible to you when its owner is migrated. Until that time, you can continue to view its contents in Box.
Learn MoreLearn about the benefits of using Microsoft OneDrive and SharePoint and what these collaborative cloud services can do for you.
- Visit the Support and Education Resources page to find how-to guides, video tutorials, LinkedIn Learning online course offerings, and a short list of situations you may encounter with workarounds.
- Review the Frequently Asked Questions web page for answers to commonly asked questions.
If you experience issues accessing your files or folders after the move to OneDrive and SharePoint, please contact your school or department IT support.
Students, faculty, staff, and affiliates not supported directly by a school or department should contact the IT Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-491-4357 (1-HELP).