IT Research Technology Advisory CommitteeThe Research Technology Advisory Committee is an IT Governance advisory committee, chaired by a senior member of the Office for Research. It provides strategic oversight for the enhancement and application of research technology services and support, ensuring alignment with Northwestern objectives.
The committee gathers, reviews, and evaluates information and proposals, and makes recommendations to the IT Executive Committee.
A senior member of the Northwestern research community serves as committee chair. University school and business unit representatives are appointed to the committee by the Dean, vice Dean, VP Research, or President. The chair may appoint ad hoc committees as appropriate.
To provide strategic direction for research technology services and support that effectively support researchers, nurtures collaboration and partnership, and positively impacts research eminence.
- Provide strategic direction for research technology services and support to ensure alignment across central and distributed service providers (NUIT NU Library and Schools and Department), with University priorities. Review and agree on priorities across all areas of services and support.
- Identify strategic partnerships and opportunities for aggregation and collaboration where there are common practices and support needs across disciplines, departments, and schools.
- In consultation with schools and academic departments, evaluate research technology services and support and make recommendations to meet the current and emerging needs of the Northwestern research community, while ensuring efficient and effective use of resources.
- Facilitate the development of policy and support structures designed to ensure effective management and security of academic research data.
- Determine where additional training and support may be necessary and identify ways to promote best practices for technology enhanced research and data management. Make recommendations on how to meet training and support needs.
- To recommend and, where applicable, review requests for the evaluation and/or delivery of new research technologies.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the University’s Strategic Plan for Research.
Meetings are held quarterly, or as determined by the committee.
- Rex Chisholm, Dean for Research, Feinberg School of Medicine (Co-Chair)
- Joseph Paris, Senior Director of Research Computing and Technology Support Services, Northwestern Information Technology (Co-Chair)
- Sumit Dhar, Associate Provost for Faculty, Office of the Provost
- Eric Perrault, Vice President for Research, Office for Research
- Michael Schmitt, Associate Dean for Research, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences
- Richard M. Lueptow, Senior Associate Dean for Operations and Research, McCormick School of Engineering
- Ulf Bockenholt, Senior Associate Dean, Faculty and Research, Kellogg School of Management
- Kelly Mayo, Dean and Associate Provost for Graduate Education, The Graduate School
- David Carr, Associate Vice President, Cyberinfrastructure, Northwestern Information Technology
- Jackie Milhans, Director of Research Computing and Data Services, Northwestern Information Technology
- Sean Reynolds, Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer, Northwestern Information Technology (Ex Officio)